Tonight as the Lynx kick-off playoff game #2 against the Phoenix Mercury, I think it is only fitting to write about why you are missing out if you have not experienced a Lynx game. We are extremely lucky to be one of 12 states to have a WNBA team in our backyard. Women mentors, role models, Olympians-all for the ticket price of what your family would spend on a night out at dinner.
I grew up playing basketball and still to this day have a huge love for the game. I know hockey fans may feel different, and that is totally fine, but coming to a Lynx game is so much more than just the game. I remember growing up cheering on the Houston Comets. At that time, they were what the MN Lynx are now – Champions. Sheryl Swoops was my role model. I dreamed about the day I was going to play for the WNBA and looking back, I’m not ashamed of having that dream at all. That’s what the WNBA is about. Providing an outlet for woman; where we can look for role models, women serving their communities, and at the end of the day – they are all just like us.
I don’t feel like I should have to explain why you should attend, but below are some good reasons:
- Women Empowerment. How can you not want your daughters to grow up seeing this platform? These women work their butts off to earn every dollar they make. And let me tell you, they don’t do this for the money. They do it for the passion, for the love of the game and because they know they are making a difference.
- The energy! The Lynx team does not just consist of the players and coaches. Our Fans are our biggest motivator! Why wouldn’t you want your child to come and feel a part of the Lynx family and cheer for a Championship team that truly has a family oriented environment. You will dance, you will sing, you will laugh, and you will drive home talking about the next game you can attend.
- Olympians- Need I say more? Not 1, not 2, not 3, but 5. 5 Olympians on just the Lynx team in itself. How can you not support this hometown team?
- But it’s summer. So what- that’s just an excuse. You can’t tell me you don’t do any indoor activities with your children during our humid summers. I promise the Target Center is air conditioned.
- Dreams. Don’t you want to install dreams into your daughter’s hearts just like my father did to me as a young girl? I won’t ever forget my first game. I was not close to the floor at all and that didn’t matter to me one bit. I got to see the best female basketball players in the world compete at a very high level. I went out and bought Swoopes shoes and her jersey and actually thought I was going to be just like her someday. I knew if I worked hard every day, that maybe one day, I could play women’s professional basketball.
So the next time you have a free night and are wondering what to do, I truly hope that a Lynx game will cross your mind. This league is here to stay. We just celebrated the 20th anniversary and I think that is something to be pretty proud of. I challenge all of you to come and support this team. I challenge you to change your mind set on the WNBA, and I challenge you to talk to your children about this league and how powerful and successful these women are. The players sacrifice a lot to play the game and provide the entertainment that they do for us fans. And I’ll tell you that being an employee of course leaves me a bit bias, but I also have to admit I’ve been a bad mom. Sometimes driving back to Target Center after a day of work is the last thing I want to do, but I decided to take my 5-year-old niece and 4-year-old daughter to the first game right after the Olympic break. You can see some photos of the two of them enjoying their time together in this post. They both picked out their favorite player, ate some nachos, and stood on the seats cheering, singing, and dancing. They even made the jumbotron. Well, two weeks ago as the summer was coming to an end and we were all preparing for school, I asked the girls; What was your favorite thing you did this summer? Simultaneously they said, GOING TO THE LYNX GAME! Shame on me. Shame on me for being selfish and having them miss out on this opportunity all summer because I haven’t been wanting to drive the 20 miles to go to the game after work.
So as an employee and fan, thank you Lynx. Thank you for instilling a memory in my daughter and niece’s minds that they will never forget. Good luck in the Playoffs and let’s bring that 4th Championship home to Minnesota! #Roarfor4
P.S. There are still some tickets available for this evening’s game at Xcel. 🙂